Prep time: 60 min
The base and the alfajores cookies:
1 cup + a 1 tbsp of cornstarch
3/4 cup of flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1 cup Tnuva Butter, softened
1/3 cup and 1 tbsp of sugar
2 large egg yolks
2 tbsp of brandy
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 oz of Tnuva butter, melted
2 tbsp of brown sugar
1/3 cup of dulce de leche
1/4 cup of ground coconut
FOR THE CHEESE AND COCONUT FILLING:
4 cups of the mascarpone or for a reduced fat version: Tnuva Quark
Creamy Soft Cheese 9%
1 cup + 3 tbsp of sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup ground coconut
Option: add 1/2 tsp coconut or almond extract
6 large eggs
1 can of Coconut Cream
For the dulce de leche coating:
2/3 cup dulce de leche
3 tbsp sweet whipping cream
1. The base and the alfajores cookies:
Sift the cornstarch, flour and baking powder into a bowl.
2. Whip the soft butter and sugar for a few minutes in a food processor until creamy. Lower the speed, add the egg yolks, brandy and vanilla extract; process until mixed well.
Add the flour mixture at once, and mix until the dough is smooth (over processing will damage the dough).
Form the dough into a ball and cover the dish with a plastic wrap.
Refrigerate for two hours.
3. Heat the oven to 350 °F. Spread baking paper on the work surface and lightly dust it with flour. Place about 2/3 of the dough (keep the rest of the dough wrapped in the refrigerator) and roll out to 1/2’’ thick. Then bake the dough on the baking sheet placed in a baking pan for about 12 minutes, till light
golden. Cool it down.
In the meanwhile, spread baking paper on the work surface and lightly dust it with flour. Place the remaining dough on the side and roll it out to about 1/3’’ thick. Cut out the dough with small round cookie cutters and place in a baking pan lined with a baking sheet.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, till bright golden. Remove from oven and cool.
Lower the oven temperature to 150 °F.
4. While the cookies are cooling down, move your baked dough into a large bowl and crumble it in your hands. Add the melted butter and the brown sugar and stir. Press the mixture down and grease the sides. Transfer to the pan and press to the bottom evenly.
5. Spread dulce de leche on half of the cookies and put the other half of the cookies on top, creating a cookie sandwich. Roll the edges of the cookies in the ground coconut and store in a sealed box until served.
6. Cheese and coconut filling: mix the cheese, sugar, vanilla extract, ground coconut and coconut or almond extract (if desired) in a large bowl. Gradually add the eggs and coconut cream and continue stirring until smooth. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 80 minutes, until it stabilizes at
the edges, but still slightly jiggles in the center. Turn off the oven. Let cool in the oven for 1 h, then remove. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
7. Coating and serving: Place the dulce de leche in a bowl. Boil the whipping cream in a microwave or small pot, pour over the dulce de leche and mix well. Pour the coating over the cake and apply it evenly. Garnish with the alfajores and serve.